Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Count Down

Wow, less than a month to go! I am interested in finding an "African presence" wherever I visit. Belize was a mixture of Kriol, African, British, Spanish and a little bit of everything else! Many of those people could have been my cousins! :-) Even in Argentina, I woke up one morning and Gabino Ezeiza, an African-Argentine, was being honored on TV! He was an Argentine troubadour (payador) back in the day.
My research interests are the African Diaspora, academic achievement gaps and multicultural issues! My brief searches indicate that I may find evidence of an African presence in Mexico as well. Anyone remember Estavanico, an African Slave who traveled with Spanish explorers through the southwest and Mexico, looking for the Seven Cities of Cibola? I recall learning about him in my first African American Studies course many years ago. Maybe I will write more about this connection upon my return! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment